Outgoing mayor of New York, Michael Bloomberg, who was a (D) until he ran for mayor and is now a (D) and is enough of a billionaire that he flies in his private jet to his weekend home in Bermuda most weekends, has his own interest group Mayors Against Illegal Guns is doing all the things interest groups do even if this one is largely one mayor against guns!
- Above is a new ad that starts running today with a father of one of the Sandy Hook kids.
- It is targeting the ads in swing states against senators who have not made up their minds (Sens. Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga.), Daniel Coats (R-Ind.),Joe Donnelly (D-Ind.), Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.),Kay Hagan (D-N.C.), Heidi Heitkamp (D-N.D.), Dean Heller (R-Nev.), Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.), Mary Landrieu (D-La.),Rob Portman (R-Ohio), Mark Pryor (D-Ark.) and Patrick J. Toomey (R-Pa.).)
- The group is starting to have Congressional report cards on votes just as most interest groups do
- Bloomberg has spent $12 million on his super PAC
- The NRA is speaking out against the group with Wayne LaPierre saying "Bloomberg can't buy America." (see new NRA ad below and its own report cards)