Monday, May 19, 2014

Boko Haram and Issues in AP Comparative

I believe that part of teaching AP Comparative is playing a bit of a guessing game in that there are so many issues that can be selected to be questioned.  So discussing Sharia law in the northern part of Nigeria, for example, is fair game, but I also think so is Boko Haram.  So I have taken Rebecca Small's idea of having my students research "issues" in addition to our reading and then the kids know they could pop up on a test.  So I have this e-sheet of issues and terms that the students must work into their write-ups (which I like to be about one paragraph).  Sometimes I add an article like this one from today's New York Times or even the 60 Minutes segment on Iran from last night.  That is one of the great things about using Google Drive (or Microsoft's OneDrive) as I do not need to continually upload it to Blackboard, but just change it on the document and the kids immediately can see it.  

No comments: