Sunday, August 2, 2009

Social Security
I teach with someone who loves to talk about government, but hates to teach it. I keep trying to get him to use articles, websites, etc., but he prefers his worksheets! For me the beauty about teaching government is that you get to keep changing every year. Here is one example, a great articles on social security and the tremendous problems it is about to go through. It also uses such key words as means testing, Dept of Treasury, solvency, American Enterprise Institute (good ex. of a think tank), when you are eligible for it. So my students will have to answers basic textbook questions such as defining the words above, but then have to also give specifics about what is going on with social security right now. That we cover both what I need to do for the end of the year exams as well as give them a real world understanding.

No comments: